Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Dividing Line

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/HEY-US-GOVERN-Keep-OUR-in-the-US-America-is-in-a-crisis-too/265351844335?ref=nf

The above posts makes me very sad and angry for more than several reason. I feel like the people who repost that kind of isolationist rhetoric are probably also the same people who were for the Iraq war and even if you pointed out the hypocrisy of their statements still wouldn't understand it. I am frustrated with the war because we have spent billions upon billions of money for a war that has no end in sight. The things that could have been achieved in our country with that amount of money makes my head hurt. So how is that different than giving money to Haiti? We (well the US Government) chose to go to war with Iraq, Haiti did not choose (unless you think like Pat Robertson) to have a massive debilitating earthquake. It's important that our country helps out those countries that need our help because we are a global power player and we need to show the world that we are not as ethnocentric as many in our global community think we are.

As a human being I think every human being should be offered help in situations like this. I Don't think that it's fair that we have some people in our own country that are living in similar conditions to those in Haiti, but that means we need to take more initiative to volunteer more in our own communities and raise awareness about problems facing our country as well.

1 comment:

  1. dude, I agree. Like I read someone's status update on FB and it said something like "Americans arent getting the healthcare they need, yada yada but yet we are donating millions to Haiti yada yada." and I was like...WHAT!!!?!?!?

    I wouldnt have the balls to post something like that even if I did think that way.

    ReplyDelete