Friday, January 29, 2010

Weddingness

So it is official, Travis and I are engaged!.

So begins the wedding planning. I am already stressed about it. We are planning on 10/29/11, Halloween weekend. It will have some Halloween aspects but won't be all gothy. Have to keep it classy.

It's hard because we don't have a set budget right now. My parents are paying for the reception, my older sister is paying for the photographer and Travis's mom will be taking care of the bar tab. We want this to be a sweet wedding but don't want to go broke either.

The biggest issue we are facing right now is guest list. Travis and I want to keep it to 150 people. This is near impossible with how large my family is. I mentioned to my mom cutting family members that are not involved in my life (I haven't seen some of my aunts and uncles in 15+ years) and she got all defensive. I can already tell this is going to be a sticking point. I just want her to keep in mind this is MY wedding (Bridezilla here we come) and not a family reunion.

My best friend Erin is going to help me with finding a place, since she just got married this past June. I have a couple other friends as well getting married here soon and I am going to pick their brain on what they think of different venues. I really wanted the art museum, but after doing some research found out the most they can accommodate is 75 people. There is no way we would be able to pull off that small of a guest list.

The top contender right now, after just perusing the internet, is BoMA (bomaevents.com)
It's an old church they converted in to a huge bar, after it didn't do so well, they closed it down and turned it into an event venue. This place is beautiful and has art everywhere! Not to mention they have an option for an omelet action station and a waffle action station, which is exactly what I wanted!

So some of my ideas to keep it classy Halloween and within a budget are

  1. No flowers: For center pieces I want carved pumpkins (with stars, the date, our initials,or symbols) For the bouquet I might do origami flowers or just none at all
  2. Favors: Masquerade masks! and a photobooth for people to take pictures!
  3. Cake:I love love love how fondant cake looks. I hate hate hate how it taste. Not to mention BoMA charges 300 for cake cutting service. So instead cupcakes!
  4. DJ: Travis and I are audiophiles, big time. A traditional DJ will probably not have the bands we want or like. So instead I am asking my friend Nick to DJ and give him a general playlist to work from.
More details to come as we work them all out!

2 comments:

  1. My mom was the same way when I asked about cutting family members. I understand what she means because if certain people arent invited it reflects on her more than you, in the mind of those who got cut. But in the end, like you said, it's your wedding...so you have the final veto power! This is the time where you get to pick which things are worth giving in for, and which things are worth standing your ground for....

    GOOD LUCK! I still need to hear the story of how he proposed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one perk of paying for the wedding ourselves was getting to do exactly what we wanted (though it sucks that we're still paying it off). Anyway, planning stinks! and i don't envy your guest list trimming, that part was the absolute worst. If you have a friend who is fantastic at planning and organizing, I suggest "hiring" them as a wedding planner. My friend Kendra took care of sooooo many details, i seriously do now know what I would have done without her. oh, and CONGRATS!!!! yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete